The need for neurosurgery can be intimidating for any patient, and finding a surgeon you can trust is crucial. Dr. Johans in Boise is an experienced and highly skilled physician passionate about providing the best possible care for his patients. He prioritizes meeting with each patient personally at every appointment. Patients can always expect a timely and accurate diagnosis that seeks to treat the condition as best as possible, even if it doesn't require surgery. Dr. Johans cares deeply about every patient that comes into his office, which means he will make referrals when necessary and only prescribe appropriate medications.
When patients are searching for a qualified and trustworthy neurosurgeon to perform their disc replacement, fusion, carpal tunnel, or ulnar nerve surgery, it is important to consider the following information and red flags.
What to Consider When Vetting a Spine Surgeon
- Find the surgeon's credentials and reviews. Find out if they have their physician's credentials and look at recent online reviews to see what other patients are saying.
- The surgeon should be board certified, which means they have met the necessary qualifications and standards set forth by the medical board.
- Check if the surgeon has privileges at a good hospital, such as Treasure Valley Hospital, which is rated highly in the Treasure Valley area.
- Confirm that your chosen surgeon has at least 50% or more spinal surgery cases in their portfolio.
- Gauge whether you will meet your surgeon before the operation and how comfortable you feel with them.
- Ensure that you will be seen and educated by your surgeon at every clinic visit, rather than just the P.A., N.P., nurse, or social worker alone.
- Inquire about your chosen spine surgeon's efforts towards furthering their education and experience. Do they attend conferences regularly? Are they part of any research projects? Do they ever publish papers or articles related to spinal surgery?
Considering the questions listed above will help you make an informed decision when choosing a spine specialist who meets your needs. Patients of Dr. Johans can breathe a sigh of relief knowing he provides each of these qualifications for an honest and trustworthy surgeon.
Testimonials from Real Patients of Dr. Johans
I feel blessed to have found Dr. Johans!
I have two friends who had recommended Dr. Johans that had the same surgery that I needed: Cervical Discectomy and Fusion. I am a very active person who is addicted to pickleball and I couldn’t imagine living the rest of my life with restricted activities.
Although I was quite nervous to have the surgery done, I am so grateful to have had it done! I am 4 weeks post surgery and I am walking 3 miles a day and in no pain. I have had a 5 star experience starting with Dr. Johans and his entire staff. The Treasure Valley Hospital was fantastic! All the staff at the hospital was so friendly and competent. My one night in the hospital was like staying at a 5 star hotel. I was fortunate because I was able to enjoy a great dinner and breakfast the following morning.
If you are fearful of having this surgery done like I was, I encourage you to go to Dr. Johans. He is extraordinarily competent, and very understanding of one’s individual needs and concerns.
Dr. Johans is the only neurosurgeon that I would recommend to my friends, family and anyone else that asked! Dr. J did an amazing job listening to my concerns and explaining the "why" I needed the procedure. He communicated every step of the process with both me and my girlfriend. Dr. J has a great bedside manor and came in to visit me in the hospital the day after my procedure on his day off. Dr. J and his staff (Megan & Kelly) are the best!!
Wow, is all I can say! From the front desk staff, to Kelly his assistant and finally Dr. Johan himself, they were all so kind, seemed to listen to my needs and concerns and made things happen in a timely manner. On my first visit Dr. Johan spent quality time with me and not once did I feel like he was trying to rush me in and out. I had surgery done right before Christmas at Treasure Valley Hospital and was also very impressed with the compassion and care I was given there. Would highly recommend both Dr. Johan and Treasure Valley Hospital!!
What are Red Flags in a Spine Surgeon?
When seeking a spine surgeon, it is important to be aware of potential red flags that could indicate an unreliable or even dangerous practitioner.
- One of the most common red flags is if the doctor scorns or mocks your questions - this could indicate that they are not taking your concerns seriously and are not worth considering.
- Another warning sign is if they do not allow for second opinions - reputable surgeons should be happy to provide you with resources so you can seek further information and advice on the best path to take.
- Additionally, if they suggest surgery as a solution right away without exploring non-surgical treatment options first, this could mean that they are more interested in making money than providing you with the best possible care.
- It is also recommended to look out for reviews on Google and Healthgrades, as these can give you an idea of how other patients have felt about their experience with a particular surgeon.
- If their reviews are overwhelmingly negative, then this may be a good indication that it would be wise to steer clear of them and find another practitioner instead.
- Finally, when speaking with a potential spine surgeon, make sure that they clearly discuss expected goals, potential benefits, risks associated with the surgery, and their practice’s rate of complications.
If any of these factors are not properly addressed, then this could mean that you are dealing with an undesirable neurosurgeon and may need to seek out someone else instead.
Idaho’s Highly-Trusted Spine Surgeon - Dr. Johans
Dr. Johans is a highly experienced, board-certified neurosurgeon and pain management specialist with exceptional expertise in neck pain, lower back pain, carpal tunnel syndrome, and cervical arthroplasty. He is a Diplomat of the American Board of Neurological Surgeons and Pain Management and a Fellow of the American College of Surgeons and the American Board of Neurological Surgeons.
If you have any of these conditions or suspect that you may be suffering from any other neurological disorder, please get in touch with Dr. Johans at 208-327-5600 for a consultation to discuss which treatment plan may be right for you.
Dr. Johans is committed to providing personalized care tailored to meet the needs and effective treatment options to achieve maximum relief from discomfort. With over 30 years of experience in neurological surgery and pain management treatments, patients can trust that he will provide the highest standard of care available so they can get back on track with life as quickly as possible!